Volunteer for a Better Environment

Friday, June 13, 2014

I Love a Good Hardworking Group

I worked more than usual this week in order to accompany a lovely church group who was taking part in The Timothy Project. The Timothy Project is a project that puts church groups with non-profit organizations, and together the two do whatever is needed in order to build a better community. This week I worked with Aiken's First Baptist Church Group, from Aiken, South Carolina. I did not expect such a large group to come up to work with us, but I was happy with the diversity in the age range, and the diversity in personalities. They were all friendly, lovely, and driven people who helped us clean up the Swannanoa and French Broad Rivers.

For the first day, we had them clean the river, the second we cleared space for a community garden (which included clearing invasive species and picking up trash), and then for the final two days were river clean ups. After the first river clean up, there were people who were excited to do it again later on, because they had to work with a non-profit organization twice at most. There were even some people who wished they could do it more than twice.

What I really enjoyed about this group was that they knew how to get stuff done. They cleaned so much from the rivers, and I was impressed by the amount of tires they managed to help pull out, which was way more than any other group that I have worked with (about thirty tires total in one day). There were gas tanks from cars pulled out, a mattress, and even a toilet. I am surprised with some of the interesting things these people helped pulled out, and I was really impressed with their integrity. There was no drama, and no fuss. They were all around a five out of five volunteer group.

One of them even sharpened some of our knives, how nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment