Volunteer for a Better Environment

Monday, June 9, 2014

River Clean Up Season

It's summer time! So that means it's time for Asheville GreenWorks to put their canoes in the water and dig out some trash. The season is really kicking it off, picking up a lot of trash and tires from the Swannanoa River and the French Broad River.

On Saturday, I picked up so many tires, that I had to straddle a big tire in between my legs as I rowed the canoe to the spot where we would take out (and where I would then become comfortable again). I noticed many people (who were just tubing for fun) would look over at me and smile and laugh, but I did not think much of it. My attitude towards clean-ups has molded into one that follows a motto, "Leave No Tire Behind."

Today I was with Aiken First Baptist Church Group (from Aiken, South Carolina), and with some of the Asheville GreenWorks staff, a number total of thirteen people were on the river. It was a big group but I enjoyed pulling out a mattress out of the river with them. They were all very nice, and helped clean up and put the canoes away (which to me means a lot).

A common occurrence that I have seen happen time and time again is that people will look at all the trash we would either be hauling at that moment or look at all of the trash that we put in a collective pile, then glance over at us, and genuinely tell us "Thank you." It keeps me energized and motivated to keep going, even when I am feeling out of it. The power of gratitude is a great thing.

I'm excited to see what else happens during the week.






Written by Stephanie Menjivar
Photographs by Eric Bradford

No comments:

Post a Comment